RE: OT: Reading archived PST files

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:02:57 -0400

The only way to access a PST that I'm aware of is via the provided hooks.
Typically, this is the Outlook Object Model.

You can write an app that would do this (scan a directory and for each file
and for each .PST found, attach to it, open it, get an index of all messages
and folders found, loop through each one to search for particular criteria
and report back if found).  Not terribly complex, but seems a little
inefficient.  A database of the information would be much more efficient.
Maybe a variation of crawling the PSTs and putting that information in a db
for later search and index would work too.

FWIW, this is what I'd term a "poor man's" retention/compliance solution.
It's not what you're intending it for, but it's common in that arena.  Tools
that do what you're asking for often are found in that domain (such as KVS).

Al