OT: 2003 Terminal Server - question pertaining to CALs

  • From: "Devin McBride" <devin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:36:08 -0800

Hi all...I realize this is not exchange specific...I'm hoping someone can give
me a hand on this though...

This office is fairly small....30 or so users
Primary server is our DC - taking care of DNS/DHCP/WINS/File storage et c
We have a 2003 Member server running terminal services....

Mind you I came into this office after the fact of them installing all of this
stuff...

I got a report this morning that their temporary terminal service license is
almost expired and proceeded to check the ts licensing on the 2003 server

The Windows 2000 server is running the terminal server licensing it appears and
I see an 5 user open license for "Windows 2000 Server - Terminal Services CAL
Token (per-device)"

Now I'm assuming this here is the issue since the 2000 server has 2000 CALs
installed and not 2003.  Can someone please confirm the validity in this?  Or
are all 2000/2003 ts CALs the same?

Thank you in advance,
Devin McBride