OST files question

  • From: Anita Birley <ABirley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:40:40 -0500

Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003

What's the difference in the OST file and sychronization when a person is
using cached mode vs actually working offline on a laptop?

Cached mode is set by default and the OST is created automatically. We are
getting a lot of calls about sychronization error messages and have been
deleting the OST file to resolve the issue. So far the calls have been for
desktop machines, but if we delete the OST on a laptop and the user has
been actually working offline while traveling, we will wipe out all their
hard work, right? The same will happen if we rebuild the OST, right? Does
cached mode need to be turned off on a laptop if the user works offline?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. etc. ???

Thanks!

Anita C. Birley
A+, Net+, MCP
Help Desk Analyst
ABirley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office Support