RE: Nofer.c Virus on exchange

  • From: "Stephen Hartley" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:21:53 +1000

When you cleaned all machines, were they still physically connected to
the network? Did you shut them down totally (remove power lead) after
cleaning and leave off network until all machines were cleaned? Did you
rescan them before putting them back on the network?

I thought that was overkill until a client got Nimda last year and it
took me 30 hours to clean from two servers & 15 workstations. Then when
all was apparently clean, I tested a backup. Fortunately I was on the
phone chatting in front of the server watching the backup (yeah I know -
more productive watching paint dry!) but I saw a bunch of disk activity
when files that had been archived were backed up. Stopped backup &
scanned & there was Nimda again! Took 90 secs to reinfect all machines
on the network. Another 26 hour cleanup, using a different tool and
removal of the entire offending folder!

Lesson that I learnt - don't trust any antivirus product that does not
strip suspect files from e-mails. Have been using eScan since, without a
single infection. www.mwti.com <http://www.mwti.com/>  . Also they have
a good cleaning tool here
ftp://ftp.microworldsystems.com/download/tools/mwav.exe

Stephen Hartley