Re: New with Exchange

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:51:12 -0500

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:33:04 -0700, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm following this howto which has been reallu usefull.
> My question is - The company I'm setting this up for uses multiple domain
> names.  What steps would I have to change or add to allow the exchange
> server to put the email in the right container.

There are no "container"'s in Exchange email delivery. Do you mean the
right Mailbox store? If so, this is specified during account creation.

What is your Storage Group and Mailbox Store configuration on this
Exchange server?
> All users have a default email of but some have as well as
> and other have ontop of all of that.

If you want to modify the SMTP address that shows up when a user -
with multiple SMTP addresses (bob@xxxxxxx, bob@xxxxxxx, bob@xxxxxxx,
etc.) - sends an email, then to keep things simple right now, lets say
that you can only have one primary SMTP address per user. The primary
is the one displayed when the user sends email.

The primary SMTP address is set within the properties of the user account.

> And all I have to do is open port 25 tcp on the firewall  to point to the
> local ip of the exchange server right?

If you are going to allow anyone on the Internet communicate with your
Exchange servers SMTP server (port 25), then the minimal configuration
I would recommend:

1) Configure your SMTP server settings to prevent unauthorized relaying
(Search google)
2) Install all the latest Microsoft Critical updates for Windows,
Exchange, IIS, and any other software running on the server.
3) Install Exchange-aware Anti-Virus software (GFI, TrendMicro
ScanMail, etc.). Configure the software for auto-updates, block
malicious attachments, scan the Information Store at 1AM daily, and
read the supplied documentation.
4) Whoever hosts DNS for the domains you want your Exchange server to
receive email for, setup the MX records to point to the public IP
address of the firewall your Exchange server is connected to.
5) Open port 25 to your Exchange server and test your configurations.
6) Have a read through some of these: and the other articles at Buy a good book on Exchange as well.