RE: New with Exchange.

  • From: "Arnold Masaro" <Arnold.Masaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arnold Masaro" <Arnold.Masaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:27:57 +0300

Hi Godfrey,

OK. I take it that you've got the techy stuff sorted out. I will therefore
limit my advise to the non-technical aspects of the implementation;

1.       Get your naming conventions sorted out first - A neat, scalable and
intuitive naming convention for users, groups, servers and sites is the best
legacy a sys-admin can leave behind when he moves on. It talks volumes about
your professionalism
2.       Design your forms for e-mail account application. Ensure that the form
requires the applicant to sign an undertaking that he understands his
responsibilities and the terms of service.
3.       Make sure you have failover capabilities. Use RAID 5 fault tolerance
on your storage and RAID 1 on your system/ exchange partition. If you can, have
a failover server
4.       Think BIG! It is easier to justify the money now that you are
implementing than to try to do it during steady state running. If you are
implementing on Compaq ML 530 servers or similar sized machines go for at least
2GHz Xeon; 36GB X 2 (system, RAID1) and 72GB X 5 (Storage, RAID5)
5.       Build in as many add-on functionalities (eg faxserver) during the
initial setup as you can. Some add-ons require you to tinker with the Active
Directory schema - something you might not want to do during steady-state
running
6.       E2K comes with many new functionality that may be very tempting to
roll out but which you might better hold back. Eg. do not rush into
implementing IM and Video Conferencing just yet. You would, however, definitely
roll out Outlook Web Access.
7.       Test, test and test. Select a group of enthusiastic users and use them
as guinea pigs for one month before rolling out to the rest of the corporation
8.       MS Outlook is the client that is optimized to unleash the full
potential of MS Exchange server to the user. If Outlook is not you standard
mail client already, you have to look into what it will entail to make it so
(eg licensing). Remember that E2K is not only a messaging solution but a
collaboration platform as well.
9.       Training for your sys-admins (E2K, AD, W2K, Outlook)  and users
(Outlook)

I will let the other members contribute as well

HTH
Arnold