RE: New Poll on MSExchange.org

  • From: "Dolly Bareqet" <dolly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:50:20 +0200

I couldn't write it better !!!

Dolly Bareqet

System Administrator

Tel: 972-3-6449333 Ext.240

Mobile: 972-54-957550

dolly@xxxxxxxxxxxx

www.imd-soft.com

  _____

From: Frederic Giroux [mailto:fgiroux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 4:01 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: dolly@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Found word(s) $$$ list internet in the
Text body. - [exchangelist] RE: New Poll on MSExchange.org

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Mike Dufoe said...

        2000 but after this last outbreak from MS (RPC), my CEO's want
me to find another product as they say they can't have down time like
this and why should we pay thousands of $$$ for this ????

        I am sorry to disagree with your CEO. I do have some empathy for
lay people that are affected by Blaster and others of the sort since
they do not have the training (or they simply don't care) to realize the
importance of upgrading and maintaining systems up-to-date.  However, I
have much less empathy for SysAdmins that are suppose to know what they
are doing.

        The RPC bug is only another problem in a long list of problems
that affect ANY OS. Linux, UNIX and others do have problems and
sometimes those problems remain unfixed for a long time of the SysAdmin
do not upgrade their systems (recall the BIND bug).

        I am not a MS fan per say. I respect every OS the way it has to
be respected.  After years of development, Windows is finally (with
2000) a stable platform that deserves to be in the major leagues.  What
makes the differences between Windows and other OSes is that Windows is
more "democratic" so lots of "wannabe" SysAdmin try it thinking they can
easily manage it. This is lack of respect and they eventually have to
pay for it.

        My point is that if you maintain your system up-to-date, manage
the firewall properly and do administrative tasks (such as checking your
antivirus), you will be able to avoid problems such as the ones caused
by Blaster. Of course, all systems have flaws that an intruder can get
through (if it can be found).

        In conclusion, my point is that it is easy to blame Windows
and/or Microsoft. Before doing that, start thinking about what YOU could
have done to prevent problems and, most of the time, you will realize
that you made a mistake along the road.

        If you switch product, you will realize that they also have
their flaws.

        Frederic Giroux

$subst('Email.Unsub')