RE: Netware 5.0 with W2k?[Scanned]

  • From: "Simon Bound" <simon.bound@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:41:19 -0000

......an equal number of desktops ? You have 30 servers and 30 desktops ? Not a
specific Exchange question but....

Are you running NetWare in IP  mode only ? The will be overheads in IPX and SAP
broadcasts if not. Are you running NETBeui as well on the w/s.
Is everything (everything) fully patched up ? Which servers supply DHCP info.
Is DNS correctly configured and do the w/s resolve consistently ?
Is you virus scanning up to date, have your users got full internet access to
download cr*p like adware etc etc ? have you got a sniffer program that would
tell you about your LAN traffic utilisation....could be a duff NIC causing your
problem.

These are all fairly obvious pointers. I successfully managed Netware and
Windows 2000 together (and at the time preferred Novell due to its inherent
stability. However there is probably a good reason for you to convert purely
from a "standards" viewpoint. Since using W2K I have concluded that Netware is
excellent for a large company where NDS can be fully utilised  - 30 servers
however is not a small enterprise is it !!!

Simon Bound