Netscape to Exchange migration

  • From: Karen Sorrell <KSorrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList] '" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:37:52 -0500

I'm halfway through a project of moving an organization off of Netscape
Messaging Server and onto Exchange 2000.  Things are going well, and I was
just curious to see how others have approached some of the tougher
challenges that I've run across so far.  I like the resolutions that I've
come up with, but would be interested to see if there are alternative
approaches that I have not considered.

Thus, what I want to know is, can anybody find documentation on the web (or
elsewhere, I suppose) describing this process?  Because nobody I know has
been able to find a document that deals directly with the question of how
exactly to migrate from "Netscape Messaging Server" and "Netscape Directory
Server" to Exchange 2000.  There are general discussions of LDAP
extractions, etc., but seems like nobody can find a doc that describes, in
very specific terms, how to (a) extract the data from the Netscape Directory
Server (where the address book info is being stored for the mail) and (b)how
to then get that extracted LDAP info (such as distribution groups) imported
into Exchange/Active Directory.

I've figured it out, but has anybody else?  And if so, have they written
about it?  Did they do it the same way I did?  Or did they come up with a
better way to do it? (just wondering.......)

Thanks,
Karen