RE: Need your thoughts

  • From: "Jamie A. Byrnes" <jabyrnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:28:57 +0930

I'm not much of a *nix guy, but I thought sendmail prior to a couple of
years ago was full of holes. And is it possible that spammers are
sifting thru port 25 scans looking for exchange boxes to attack with
well known accounts? Sure good practice should stop that but every
little bit helps. The exchange greeting basically tells an attacker what
the underlying OS is to a large degree as well.

But anyway, just seems like a good idea to throw attackers a curve ball
now and again.