Need to insert a second Exchange 2000 server to replace an existing Exchange 2000 server

  • From: "Stephan Barr" <bdtsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:11:35 -0600

Background:

Windows 2000 SP4; Exchange 2000 V 6.0 Build 6249.4 SP3; DC; SMSMSE
4.5.4.743.

In December 2004 upon rebooting the server SMSMSE 4.5 wouldn't load in
the browser.  SMSMSE seems to be working via log entries but it's
probably a matter of time before it crashes.   Symantec had me zip up
and send the \server folder and the system state to them for review.
Well it's almost a month later, no word from Symantec and I'm building
contingencies now.  I want to build another server that looks like the
one above, not make it a DC but do make it the primary Exchange Server.
I have regular backups and system states.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224975 says the
most efficient method is to "Right click the users, click Exchange Tasks
and then click Move Mailbox.  So, can someone point me to a document
that describes how to insert a second Exchange server into the domain
and maybe some of the rest.

Thanks