[ExchangeList] NTFS ( 16 Exabyte's )

  • From: "Jose Medeiros" <josemedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:10:46 -0700

From: Medeiros, Jose
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:22 PM
To: ActiveDir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NTFS ( 16 Exabyte's )

Greetings,

Quick question. I just finished building two new 2003 servers running Microsoft
Clustering services and presented two 2047 Gigabyte LUNS to each cluster node.
However the OS is only seeing 1.99 Terabytes (Please see my screen capture). I
specifically recall from my Microsoft NT 3.51 server class taught by Michael
Van Dercreek at Technology Education Centers back in 1996 using official MOC,
that NTFS is a 64 bit file system ( 2 to the 64th power  = 16 Exabytes ). 16
Exabyte's is the largest partition available on NT 3.51, however I do not seem
to recall if this has been changed in 2003, since I have only taken a course on
Active Directory 2003, Exchange 2003, SQL 2005 and ISA 2004.

So why I am only seeing 1.99 TB on a 2.47 TB LUN? Is any one else running a
larger LUN size using NTFS? Any issues or corruption of the MFT that I should
know about?

My apologies in advance for the newbie question ( I really should know this
answer ).

Sincerely,
Jose Medeiros
Storage Area Network Systems Engineer
MCP+I, MCSE, NT4 MCT 408-765-0437  Direct, 408-449-6621 Cell

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  Albert
Einstein

GIF image