RE: NT to W2K and Exchange Migration problem

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:49:14 -0400

Unfortunately the answer depends.  My usual preference is to migrate the
Windows first and then work on the Exchange mailboxes.  You're in the exact
opposite my preference :)

You really really really don't want to use the disabled accounts for
anything.  Besides, what good are they to you?

You still have 5.5 mailboxes in use so you're right, you can't yet go to
native Exchange mode.  Is W2K native?  I assume so, but...  What's the
topology of Windows domains?  Are they separate?

What were your thoughts on the Exchange migration tools?  You can do a
migration where you create two objects and then merge them back together.
Have you considered this method?

There's a lot more to this than I currently mention.  Some background and
topology would be useful to be more helpful.  Also, what size network are we
talking about?  How many mailboxes/users etc?