RE: Mutliple Recipient Update Services.

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:30:00 +0100

Hi Al

At present the setup is all up and working fine. I just wanted an extra RUS to
try and remove slow updates at times. This has always been a minor niggle right
from the outset of building the Domain and installing Exchange 2003. I
apologise in advance if this all seems very complicated.

I will try and clarify the situation. Originally I simply did not have the
option of installing AD anywhere else other than the Exchange 2003 machine due
to hardware constraints. Later I had the option to install a second DC and did
so. However, upon doing so the Exchange services would no longer start up when
the original Exchange|AD server was rebooted. However, if I then demoted the
second DC Exchange would work correctly once more. I would get a timeout on the
IS and MTA services and errors in the event logs about no GC's being online
otherwise. I turned up logging to prove this. Once having logged on after about
60 seconds you could then start the services manually and all would fine from
then on. Being unhappy with this I called Microsoft PSS and raised an incident.
I was told that it was almost certainly due to FSMO role placement and to move
the Infrastructure master to the other DC which I duly did. This made no
difference. I could not call back unfortunately for reasons that would take too
long to explain here. Thus I then tried various Domain (note not Forest) FSMO
role combinations and the result was always the same. The only thing that
genuinely seemed to fix it was stopping the Exchange box being a GC.

One other thing I was warned about by the chap at PSS was even if I moved
everything was not to demote the Exchange server as DCPROMO would most probably
error and fail. I have also heard that this is a new constraint of Exchange
2003?

Recently I managed to obtain a second new additional machine I could use as a
third DC and thus installed it as a 2003 GC and moved all the roles to this and
the other DC and stopped the 2003 server from being a GC after following the
Microsoft instructions on how to do this by moving to one of the other DC's.
This fixed my start-up issue and the server and general network performance are
both noticeably improved and so far all is well.

I have no issue with a second GC and would be only too happy to have a second
one. However, Microsoft do not recommend more than one GC per-site in 2003
apparently? I did originally have two before I even installed Exchange and when
the Domain was built from scratch and new but experienced problems with screwy
DNS which going to one GC did seem to cure. This may have just been teething
problems and just coincidence of course. I honestly cannot say. I would add
that I ran Exchange 2000 and Windows with 2 GC's across 3 DC's without the
screwy DNS problems but the same Exchange service start-up issue.

So my question is that if only one GC per site is recommended (I am not overly
happy with that either) then does the same apply to the RUS?

I hope this makes things clearer? Please accept my apologies if not and let me
know if I can help further. From what you say putting a second RUS to the GC
would seem a good idea?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.