RE: Multiple locations of exchange

  • From: "Chris Williams" <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:30:45 -0800

Mike, mailboxes can only reside in one location.  If you are worried
about redundancy, be vigilant about your backups and store the backups
in remote locations. Then have spare hardware waiting around in case of
a hardware failure.  SANs are also nice, because you can make snap
backups and perform very fast restores, but expensive.

Your next question was on public folders, and actually public folders
can be available on separate servers, even in separate routing groups,
for redundancy.  But your question about storing the data on a file
server doesn't make sense.  Exchange is a database.  It's where you
store data.  You can't make a link between Exchange data and some random
data on a file share (without writing an app to do it) any more than you
can link between SQL data and a file share.

Chris