RE: Multiple SMTP relay servers

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:54:48 -0500

Hi Chris,

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/smtprelaypart1.html

http://isaserver.org/articles/smtprelaypart2.html

http://isaserver.org/tutorials/Mail_Relay_Scenario_Using_Mail_Essentials
_60_for_SMTP_Gateways.html

HTH,
Tom
Get the book!
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7 <http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7>
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Chris Wall [mailto:Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:22 AM
        To: [ExchangeList]
        Subject: [exchangelist] Multiple SMTP relay servers

        http://www.MSExchange.org/

        Hello all,

          I am in the process of implementing a second SMTP mail relay
server (using IIS 6) for my Exchange 5.5 organization.

          The SMTP mail relay server is going to be running GFI
MailEssentials and MailSecurity.  (not that important of a detail, but
one worth mentioning).

          I would like to find out if anyone on this list is running a
similar setup and any pointers they may have.  I am having difficulty
planning an environment that will allow Exchange to automatically switch
over to the secondary SMTP server should the primary fail.  In 5.5, if
the primary SMTP relay server fails, exchange will not know about it and
mail will simply queue up in the IMC.  Is there a way to have Exchange
force mail to a separate IMC connected to another SMTP relay server if
the queue passes a set limit or if the relay server goes down all
together?  Of course this will not be an issue for mail coming into the
organization, only for mail destined to external addresses.

          I am curious as how others may have their SMTP relay servers
setup for redundancy.

        Thanks for any info!  (hopefully no rants will come from this
post :)

        Regards,
        Chris
        Exchange Newsletters: