Multiple MX Records

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:31:01 -0000

Hi All

Has anyone else come across this one? I have outbound messages queued up for
domains where there primary server is down. These queue up and are not
delivered which would seem fair enough on the face of it. Just one problem the
destination system has multiple MX records and the other hosts are up. Why does
Exchange refuse to use them? Even if I force the connection they do not leave?
Eventually they go of their own accord but this takes several minutes or even
hours? I cannot say at this stage if this is as a result of the primary server
coming back on line. I suspect it is.

> server 217.20.32.36
Default Server:  ns1.lon.ipmh.telecity.net
Address:  217.20.32.36

> set q=mx
> mtsn.org.uk
Server:  ns1.lon.ipmh.telecity.net
Address:  217.20.32.36

Non-authoritative answer:
mtsn.org.uk     MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = scanmailext.easymail.va.ifl
net
mtsn.org.uk     MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx1.easymail.va.ifl.net
mtsn.org.uk     MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = mx2.easymail.va.ifl.net

mtsn.org.uk     nameserver = dns2.rmplc.co.uk
mtsn.org.uk     nameserver = dns0.rmplc.co.uk
mtsn.org.uk     nameserver = dns1.rmplc.co.uk
scanmailext.easymail.va.ifl.net internet address = 213.18.255.195
mx1.easymail.va.ifl.net internet address = 213.18.248.112
mx2.easymail.va.ifl.net internet address = 213.18.248.112

I can telnet the second server just fine. The first one drops the connection
almost immediately. I suspect that is the answer? I am guessing that since it
does make a connection of sorts, albeit very briefly, it never tries the second
record as it thinks it is connected and thus never checks the other MX records.

Above and below are relevant screen shots.

421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel

Connection to host lost.

Can someone tell me if I am correct and if there is any way around this please.
I know that strictly speaking, if my theory is correct, it could be classed as
a firewall issue at the remote end but that doesn't help me deliver mail. The
only short term way I see around this is to set up an extra Virtual SMTP server
and restrict the address space to just that domain and forward to the second
record host explicitly rather than using DNS. Although that won't help with the
trapped messages I suspect?

Any ideas, comments or suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.