[ExchangeList] Re: Multiple Location Exchange Migration

  • From: Jason Sherry <Jason.Sherry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:22:27 -0600

As Michael said, without knowing your environment these are just basic recommendations:

If you have the bandwidth back to the HO I would highly recommend going with all mail servers at that location. With Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTPS) and cached mode it make it very easy to go with a central deployment of Exchange. HP, Microsoft, and many other companies have gone this way.

I would also recommend a CCR cluster at the HO so that leaves you with:
3 DCs - 2 DCs might not be enough to handle 7,000 users. (Make them x64 also)
2 EDGE server (optional, but you are going to want to use something for message hygiene)
2 CCR MB servers - Can host 7,000 mailboxes if the uses are light to medium users for the most part. If not then 4 CCR MB servers
2 HUB/CAS servers - Should be able to handle the load of 7,000 users, unless you have heavy mail uses and a lot of automated messages
2 UC & 2 OCS server (optional, but unified communications and OCS servers make communications SO much better!)

Each branch:
>50 users - 1 DC
<50 users - no DC (assuming the network link is stable)

If do go with servers at branches you could go with all in one (MBX, HUB, & CAS), unless your branches have hundreds of users.  You will want to enabled LCR on those servers and maybe even SCR back to a HO DR server, that won’t you won’t have to worry about backing up the remote servers.

Jason Sherry - http://jasonsherry.org
Technology Strategist, MCSE: M, Microsoft Exchange MVP