Re: Moving to Exchange for the first time

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <Ray.Dzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:02:13 -0800

Tee,
You said to use Seventy-Two Thousand RPM drives (72,000) that in fact do
not exist.  There are Seventy-Two Hundred RPM drives (7,200).  Oh what a
difference one little 0 can make.  There are Ten-Thousand RPM drives
(10,000) and Fifteen-Thousand RPM drives (15,000) as well.

Matt,
Anyway .. I think the hardware you have selected will be just fine.  You
gotta do what you gotta do.  But do try to keep the OS separate from the
message store at least.  2 - drives RAID 1 for the OS and then whatever
else you can muster for the message store.  We use 4 (10,000RPM) drives
in a RAID 10.  It is VERY fast.  I think we paid just over $5,0000 US
dollars for a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with dual 3.2GHz and 6 SCSI drives.  2
72GB Drives for the OS and 4 142GB drives for the RAID 10.  We also have
2GB of RAM.

I have about 400 mailboxes that are used pretty heavily throughout the
day.

You are going to love the RPC over HTTPS features of Outlook 2003 for
the laptops.  It can be a bit daunting to configure at first, but the
results are well worth it.