Re: Moving to Exchange for the first time

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:25:00 -0500

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:59:34 -0500, Tee Darling <tee.darling77@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> From experience, I would suggest that you buy six or more SCSI
> harddrives 72,000 RPM (72,000 RPM drives turn out to be faster than
> 15,000 RPM).

72,000RPM hard disks do not exist. 15,000RPM is currently the de-facto
standard for high RPM hard disks.

> Now I know you would ask why 6 or more drives. Right? The
> answer will be how you'll configure the Exchange server. Lets say you
> have 7 disks in the Excahnge server: you will configure 2 disks as a
> RAID 1 for the OS and where you will install Excahnge files. Two more
> disks will be configured as another RAID 1 for where you'll store
> Exchange transaction logs. The remaining 3 disks should be configured
> as RAID level 5 for your Exchange database files (Users emails). It's
> always advisable not to store the transactions log file and the
> database files on the same drive or partition. You configure your
> exchange in this way for performace.

I couldn't find the MSKB, but here is the ideal storage config:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=44932

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328794

[...]

...D