RE: Moving Exchange 2000 from one PC to another r

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:02:09 -0500

I think you're asking for trouble with your offline procedures - maybe I'm
missing the point, why are you doing that step?

You'd be better off standing up the new server (not a temporary one),
installing Exchange, and moving the mailboxes.  Once you're satisfied that
all is functioning as expected, remove the old Exchange server following
Microsoft's prescribed steps for doing so.

You'd also be much happier if you removed the mix of Exchange and DC - since
you're going to be making changes, I would definitely try to accomplish
this.  Is there a reason that your older server can't stay on duty as your
separate DC?  I would certainly consider this if possible.

Otherwise, you would stand up the new server, DCPromo it, and follow the
documented procedures for installing Exchange on a DC (not a best practice,
but supported).

The ghost scenario confuses me, though, I have to admit.  Why are you
introducing a disk image into the picture at all?

Rick