[ExchangeList] Re: Monitoring rpc/https remotely in Exchange 2003 / 2007

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:35:56 -0400

PS C:\> rpcping -t ncacn_http -s <internal-exchange-server-name> -o
RpcProxy=<external-exchange-server-name> -P
"proxy-user,proxy-domain,proxy-pass" -I
"exch-user,exch-domain,exch-pass" -H 1 -F 3 -u 10 -a connect -v 3 -R
none -E

That's all one line.

Note: the password is in clear text. You shouldn't batch this with a
user who has any "real" credentials.

The proxy and exchange information are probably identical, so, let's use
these values:

User: test-user

Domain: example

Pass: test-pass

<internal-exchange-server-name>: exch.example.local

PS C:\> rpcping -t ncacn_http -s exch.example.local -o
RpcProxy=mail.example.com -P "test-user,example,test-pass" -I
"test-user,example,test-pass" -H 1 -F 3 -u 10 -a connect -v 3 -R none -E

RPCPing v2.12. Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation, 2002

OS Version is: 6.0

RPCPinging proxy server mail.example.com with Echo Request Packet

Sending ping to server

Response from server received: 200

Pinging successfully completed in 250 ms

Change the "-v 3" to "-v 1" and get:

Pinging successfully completed in 188 ms

I should write a blog article on this. Wrap it up in a PS script and
stuff and it's very useful.