Mixing SP1 and SP2 for Exchange 2003

  • From: steveni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:12:40 -0700

Maybe one of you has seen this. 

Our "disaster recovery" mail server was upgraded from Exchange 2003 SP1 to
SP2 in mid-January. It contains about 10 to 15 mailboxes and I wanted to
"test" SP2 on that server before deploying it here.

Our main mail server is still running Exchange 2003 SP1 (on Win2000).
Since I put SP2 on the Disaster Recovery mail server, I have seen the
following error Four times:
    Error in C++ runtime library..... (in a pop-up window) 

This occurs on our main mail server. After I see that error, then every 30
seconds I see in the Event Viewer:
  ID=7011; Source = Service Control Manager 
  Timeout (300000 miliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
IISADMIN service.

And:   
  ID=7011; Source = Service Control Manager 
  Timeout (300000 miliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
IISADMIN service.

Now I'll state the obvious- after that the Info Store is still available
and people can read messages, but no new messages are coming in.

At that point I either restart IIS or shutdown the server completely. [I
think that on the occaisions I tried to just restart IIS, the SMTP Service
would not start.]

Initially I thought that this was due to either "Symantec Mail Security
4.6" which is running on the server, or maybe "iHateSpam server edition".

However, I then realized that it was only 8 hours or so after I had
installed SP2 on the other mail server  that this started to happen.

By the way, these are NOT Front-end/back end servers. Each receives mail
on its own, but they are in the same Administrative Group. [We only have 1
administrative group.]

I will be applying SP2 to the server with the trouble this Sunday or
Monday. In the meantime I wanted to see if anyone was aware of this -- or
maybe tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for any tips!!!! 


Other related posts: