RE: Migration advice

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:40:29 -0400

Why Windows 2000?, better with 2003.

Steve

________________________________

From: Kelvin Hee [mailto:Kelvin.Hee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 10:19 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Migration advice

http://www.MSExchange.org/

My present company (Company A in Singapore)

We are still in Windows NT 4.0 domain. Our Exchange 5.5 mail server is
sitting on a Win2000 member server (reason being ..we need bigger Hard
Disk storage space which Windows NT 4.0 can't support). We have about
150 NT and mailbox users.

Company B (in London)

Windows 2000 AD domain in native-mode. The AD forest root domain is
"ad.company.com". The Exchange 2003 mail server is sitting on a Win2000
server.

As the Company A has been merged with Company B, we need to perform the
following :

We need to migrate to Windows 2000 AD domain (in mixed-mode initially
till all old NT 4.0 server migrated to Win2K). All our servers hardware
are old and we need to buy new servers hardware.

We will be a Singapore new regional child domain, joining company B's
existing domain tree of "ad.company.com". Our child domain name is
"Sng.ad.company.com"

We will configure our DNS as a secondary copy of the forest root _msdcs
zone from the forest root domain.

For reasons of autonomy, it was decided that Company A will each have
their own domain. This also removes the reliance on one another, and
allows Company A to administer their own domain.

We want the new mail server to be Exchange 2003 running on Win2000
server, with AD connector installed so that both the Singapore new mail
server and old Exchange 5.5 mail server can see each other in Address
Book.  This will allow us to slowly migrate the mailbox user from old
server to new server.

We also want both the SG new and old mail server to be able to see
Company B's mail user in Address Book and vice-versa.

Please advise on what is the best way of doing this migrations. Thanks.

Prebon email disclaimer

This email is intended only for the addressee. This email
and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
or privileged information. If you are not the named
addressee or the person responsible for delivering the
message to the named addressee, please contact
postmasters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This email has been scanned by MIMEsweeper.

or used by any person other than the recipient named above.

unlawful. Optimum IT Solutions Ltd disclaims any liability for any action taken
in connection of this E-Mail. The comments or statements expressed in this
E-Mail are not necessarily those of Optimum IT Solutions Ltd or its
subsidiaries or affiliates.

administrator@xxxxxxxxxx