[ExchangeList] Re: Migrating to Exchange 2003 Clustering

  • From: "Jose Medeiros" <josemedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:20:23 -0700

I'd just like to add that Microsoft recommends that you have an Exchange front
end server non clustered as your SMTP mail gateway, and that the Exchange
Clusters be back end servers. I made the mistake of implementing an Exchange
2000 cluster at Slamdunk Networks back in 2001 ( about 300 people ) and even
though, I suggested to the IT director that we also add at least one front end
server,  he still only wanted a single two node Exchange Active / Active
cluster. Against my better judgement I still proceeded with the implementation
so I could least say on my resume that I had actually  installed a production
Cluster at a reputable Startup / Corporation. Mail routing still worked and,
but if I had to do it again, I would have walked away from the project so I
wouldn't get burned or labeled as not knowing what I am doing by their IT staff
and upper management. Unfortunately, the company filed Bankruptcy and never
paid for the three weeks worth of work that I did, including Migrating Exchange
5.5 and NT 4 domain to Active Directory 2000 and Exchange 2000.

So what's the Morale of this story, Lets see, how about an  "Ounce of
prevention is better then a pound of cure", or " Don't count your chickens
before they are hatched ".

Peace,

Jose :-)
http://www.sjpc.org/~medeiros