[ExchangeList] Migrating an Exchange 2003 server from one AD to another AD

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:34:34 -0500

I have an Exchange 2003 server which we want to move completely from one AD (in one data center) to a new AD in a new data center.  There is no connection between the two AD's i.e. they are not part of the same forest or anything, no VPN connections between the two data centers, etc.  The current AD is a stand-alone AD.  The new AD has multiple OU's in it and this server's users would ideally occupy a new sub OU in the new AD.  The mailboxes and content thereof, users, email domain name addresses and aliases, etc. must remain the same.  Ideally even the login and password should not change.
Is there a way to do this migration easily and quickly?  Ideally we would like to simply move the server from one data center to another, do whatever configuration changes are needed without having to export/import mailboxes, re-configure users etc.  Definiley we would like to avoide a "re-install" if at all possible.  Any suggestions?
For example, is it possible to simply have the server join the new Active Directory or is there more to it than that?
Thanks very much in advance.