RE: Message-ID Header - is it essential for proper email flow?

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:54:27 -0400

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:43:07 -0400, Michael B. Smith <michael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> According to email RFC's, Message-ID is a required header.

Apparently, Outlook 2003 removed it:

Although, if you have Exchange, I think it ends up adding the Message-ID.
> It's also used for grouping by conversation (Outlook term).

I wonder what happens for those without Exchange and have Outlook 2003
- I assume there would be no Message-ID.

> I wouldn't remove it.

Not a big deal to me. It's just extra information that external
networks/eyes do not need to see, in my opinion.