Message tracking

  • From: "Shevill, Mark M SITI-ITDSEC44" <Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:07:39 +0100

Ok guys. Here's my gripe. Message tracking is rubbish. There are numerous
reasons for this. Firstly the size of our tracking logs under E2K is between
700Mb and 1.5Gb so when a track needs to be done all that needs to dragged
across the network making it very slow indeed. The size increase from 5.5 to
2000 is approximately 300%. The tracking log under E2K now stores loads more
data than before. And is it really neceesary? well I have yet to have found
a need for most of it. Whats more is that since SP2 the message tracking
functionality is very much dependent upon WMI. If a track is killed then the
WMI process continues. This causes numerous problems, mail stuck in outbox,
slow response times and IS termination. Since DSAccess also is linked with
WMI then resolution is much slower and the we start seeing messages build up
in the unresolvable destination queue.

So what am I after, other than to get things off my chest. The answer is a
much better solution for tracking messages that using the in built messaage
tracking center.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Mark Shevill
IMG Messaging Technical Lead