RE: Mailbox Sizes

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:19:07 -0500

Forget about the cost of a backup device versus cost of disk ­ what about
the cost of downtime?

Let¹s assume for a minute that you keep growing your privs in size to 100
GB.  In the event of failure, and I mean server crash where you are
rebuilding and restoring, you¹re looking at (roughly) 7.5 GB per hour to
restore.  Heck, let¹s call it 10 GB per hour cause you have the fastest,
newest, root-toot-tootinest tape system out there.

That¹s still ten hours.  So every user on that store (all 50 of them, I
guess, given your stated requirements) will be without mail all day.

But wait, we left out a few factors:
Typically you don¹t start a restore immediately upon a failure.  In my
experience the absolute least amount of time before you decide to make a
restore happen is an hour.
Plus, what if the restore won¹t mount?  Suddenly you¹re trying to run
ISINTEG and ESEUTIL, along with a potential call to PSS, to try and get the
stores mounted.
Or, you could just kick off another restore and hope that works.
We¹ve also left off the time to rebuild the system, assuming you aren¹t
keeping a warm server with a few hundred gigs of disk space sitting around.

Typical SLAs indicate 4 hours of recovery time, so in the real world that¹s
a 25 GB database.  You can have several of them of course, but still you
don¹t want to get too far outside that.  Your specific SLA may vary though ­
more or less times that 7.5 GB per hour number gives you a good idea of how
big they can be.

So the question shouldn¹t be ?how much does the disk space cost¹ but rather
?how much can we afford to spend if the mail system goes down.¹