RE: Mailbox Size:- What is typical and/or advisable

  • From: "Kenny Mann" <Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:27:09 -0600

<two cents>
~ 50 people
Out total usage is about 5GB... which one user using about 1.8GB of
Their there is no typical where those in engineering send full AutoCAD
drawings and those in Sales might send part word documents part AutoCAD
drawings, and those in accounting send itty bitty Excel spreadsheets...
Usually twice a year I do a exmerge for everything older than 1 year and
burn it to media, aside from the General Manager (who uses the 1.8GB)
who is ultra paranoid.... what can I say.. I'm hourly and it's his
Large mailboxes for Office XP and below tend to want to sync up once a
day or something like that which can take a little bit of time. Office
2003 seems to be much more effecient at handling Microsoft Exchange and
letting the user still work while it's getting a crap load of data from
the server.
If everyone had 1-2GB of data, I might be concerened about network
bandwidth at the point maybe....
Disadvantage of not allowing large mailboxes is that some things might
not be accessible via OWA (assuming it's on their local hdd and not on
the server).
We currently just use MS Backup to backup our stuff, which isn't too
bad. We are only really prepared for worst case scenarios as far as the
mail server is concerened.
</two cents>

Kenny Mann