RE: Mailbox Issues

  • From: "Cresswell, Charles" <charlesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:18:55 -0000

IMHO when it gets to a point of giving users rules they have to
implement themselves then something needs to be fixed on the server
side! :-) A couple of possible solutions is setting a maximum mailbox
size and also the use of group policies if you are using outlook.  One
group policy I use is deletion of the contents of the deleted items
folder on shutdown, although with a 3 day cooling down period to recover
deleted items there is a second chance to grab things back. Another
group policy can force auto archiving however its not something I have
used so I cant recall how flexible it is at the moment.

Users may not like it or claim that they have always used the deleted
items folder has a filing system, but as long as you give them
sufficient warning before the rule comes into affect.

Other rules can reduce your mailbox burden on the Exchange server. I use
Groupshield to block a range of attachment types. Not currently movie
files but it's a possibility if its seen as a source of bloated emails.
There's not much you can do about standard office files except maybe
restricting the size of an email. Powerpoint files are usually the worst
offenders here.

Regards,

Charles Cresswell

IS Manager