Re: Mail relay through Sendail

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:24:37 -0500

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:20:07 -0700, Byron Kendrick
<bkendrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hate it when I do that.

We are all human (well, most of us) here. :)

> I was trying to say that when we send mail to a student we get an NDR saying
> that the
> e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to.

When you send an email from what mail system to what mail system?
Anything in-between? Elaborate on the mail flow... for example:

"Exchange 2003 -> Sendmail (on Sun OS), we receive an NDR stating the
email account does not exist."

If this is the case, is the email stored on that Sun server, or is it
relayed somewhere else?

> The alias file is on the SMTP gateway.  This is a Sun box running send mail.

What does the mail log state on the Sun box? I bet someone forgot to
type newaliases.

> Our old Exchange 5.5 server had the same problem for a while but we manager
> to make
> it send everything to the Sunbox.

How did you manage this? Did you just move from 5.5 to 200x?

> How can I either make this thing send mail through the gateway or is there
> another
> problem.

Elaborate on the exact mail flow, final destination, etc. and the
systems involved. See above for more details.

...D