Mail flow problems

  • From: "Mike Hogenauer" <MHogenauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:54:50 -0700

All,

I' have 2 sites Site A and Site B located in two different states
connected by a DS3 connection. Both sites run Exchange 2003 SP1 and
Windows 2003 server and all are part of the same Domain. Neither
Exchange sever is on a DC

I'm having some really weird intermittent mail flow problems.  Where
mail will stick in the queue from site A to Site B and so far only a
reboot of the Exchange Server in Site A will correct the problem.

This happens about once or twice a week.

I can telnet to port 25 from Site A to Site B.

If I do a trace route from Site A to Site B both come back with the same
about of Hops

I can ping both Servers from each other.

Even when mail is flowing I can't do an ipconfig /registerDNS on either
server.

I can SMTPDIAG with no errors from Site A to Site B

Each server has the Send as rights and each server has the FQDN of the
server itself listed on the advanced tab of the default SMTP servers
tab.

I've also noticed that when mail is stuck in the Queue, From the ESM of
Site A I cannot view the Queue folder from Site B (RPC problems???)

I can successfully run a Netdiag and DCDIAG from Site A's Server, it
knows where DNS is and knows of the correct Role holders in AD

Site B can send mail to Site A, this has never had a problem.

Any help or tips on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike