RE: Mail box move

  • From: "Shevill, Mark M SITI-ITDCE22" <Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:21:50 -0000

Adding the associated external account generates the
MSExchMasterAccountSID attribute that would allow access to the mailbox
in case of a direct permissions related issue. The error message that
the eventlog supplies suggests that it is a permissions related issue,
so this is the first thing to be eliminated. There is a cache timeout
however, as I am sure you will appreciate customers are not patient
enough to wait for cache timeouts, especially when email is their entire
job.

The machine that the move was initiated from was a workstation that is
rebooted on a daily basis. The reboot of this machine made no
difference.

When a mailbox is moved, the system locks the mailbox so that users are
unable to access it during the move to prevent corruption. However, if
the move fails due to some error mid way through the process then it
will not release the mailbox for access. In order to release it the
store needs to be dismounted and remounted. In some cases though you
will find that the store will not dismount due to the lockout of that
one object. The only option is to then reboot the server, but since this
server holds some 2500 mailboxes then it has rather a large impact.

So the question remains. I would like to find an alternative method of
unlocking a maibox that has been locked out by the system. Any
thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Mark Shevill
IMG Messaging Technical Lead

Tel: +44 161 435 8709 Fax: +44 161 933 3502 Other Tel: +44 7932 625510
Email: Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.shell.com <http://www.shell.com/>

  _____