MSExchange.org - January 2006 Newsletter

  • From: "MSExchange.org" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:30:00 -0600

MSExchange.org Newsletter of January 2006
Sponsored by: DataViz
In this issue:
Welcome to the first MSExchange.org newsletter!
Henrik Walther?s Exchange Server 2003 Security book
MSExchange.org Learning Zone Articles of Interest
KB Articles of the Month
Post of the Month
MSExchange Links of the Month
Ask Henrik Walther a question

Welcome to the MSExchange.org newsletter! Each month we will bring you
interesting and helpful information on ISA Server. We want to know what all
*you* are interested in hearing about. Please send your suggestions for future
newsletter content to: henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RoadSync - Secure, Wireless and Direct Access to Exchange Server 2003 Data via
Exchange ActiveSync
RoadSync is Exchange ActiveSync for non-Microsoft devices. This means wireless
access to your Exchange Server 2003 data without the need for middleware or a
desktop redirector. Support for "Direct Push" email and "Remote Wipe" is
available in preview for Symbian UIQ and Symbian Series 80 devices, including
the Sony Ericsson P900/P910, Motorola A1000, Nokia 9300 and 9500. RoadSync is
also available for Palm OS and select Java MIDP 2.0 devices (including Treo and
Motorola RAZR). Download the Free Evaluation Kit Today.
(http://www.dataviz.com/msexch_rs_jannews)

1. Welcome to the first MSExchange.org newsletter!
By Henrik Walther, Exchange MVP, MCSE

Happy New Year everyone and welcome to the first edition of the MSExchange.org
newsletter!

I must admit I've looked forward to writing this newsletter, which is the
latest initiative here on MSExchange.org (http://www.msexchange.org). Many of
you are probably already satisfied readers of the newsletter on our sister site

In this edition, our main focus will be on Exchange 12 (E12) and the Messaging
and Security Feature Pack, but should you have any ideas for content in a
future edition, you're more than welcome to shoot me an e-mail at
Henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

So will 2006 be an exciting one when it comes to the Exchange Server product?

You bet! 2006 will most likely be the most exciting year since Exchange 2000
was released back in 2000, because if everything goes according to plan, the
next major version of Exchange (codenamed E12) will RTM (Release To
Manufacturing) in Q4, although there's a slight chance we won't see it before
Q1 2007.

My Christmas started early, in the beginning of December 2005, since that was
when I received my first copy of Exchange 12 BETA 1. I've been playing with it
in my test lab ever since, and let me make one thing clear, even though E12 is
in the BETA 1 stage it's absolutely awesome. I especially like that E12 is
built on top of Monad, meaning everything you can do via the GUI (and more) can
be done via the Monad Command Shell as well. I've already begun writing a few
Exchange 12 articles, so look forward to seeing them get published here on
MSExchange.org in the near future.

Speaking of E12 it should come as no surprise that many of you would do
anything in order to be invited to join the Exchange 12 BETA program.
Unfortunately the current Exchange 12 BETA program is only available to
approximately 1400 customers around the world (who joined the Exchange 12
Technical Adoption Program which you can read more about here
(http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/10/10/412308.aspx), as well as
the Microsoft Exchange MVPs. But the disappointment stops here, because
according to several Microsoft sources a special Exchange 12 BETA should be
included in the TechNet March shipment, so if you're currently a TechNet
subscriber you definitely have something to look forward to!

Other exciting Exchange related things that will happen in 2006, actually
already happening in Q1, is the release of the Messaging and Security Feature
Pack (MSFP)
(http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/mobility/e2k3sp2.mspx).
This will make it possible to do OTA (Over The Air) synchronization using the
new Direct Push technology - which over time will replace the existing
Always-up-to-date (AUTD) technology, configure Exchange mobile device security
policies, take advantage of certificate-based authentication, as well as make
use of S/MIME just like is the case in Outlook 2003 and OWA 2003 today.

So does this mean we can download the MSFP from Microsoft.com in the near
future?

The answer is no and this is a general misunderstanding. Microsoft will not
provide the MSFP as a download, instead you'll need to get it via your mobile
provider. This will typically be in the form of a firmware upgrade, but only if
the mobile provider decides to offer it. This can depend on many things such as
type of mobile provider, brand and model of the mobile device, etc.

Among a few other devices, I'm the lucky owner of an Imate JasJar device
(http://www.imate.com/t-DETAILS_JASJAR.aspx), and have been informed by

That's all for this time. Again, should you have any ideas for content in
future editions of the MSExchange.org newsletter, you're more than welcome to
shoot me an email at Henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

2. Henrik Walther?s Exchange Server 2003 Security book - Order Today!
By Henrik Walther

Are you among the persons who like the articles I write for MSExchange.org
(http://www.msexchange.org/Henrik_Walther)? Then this book is definitely for
you. It provides you with step by step instructions on how you get your
Exchange Server properly secured.

The book covers topics such as how to:

- Secure OWA 2003 (including many real world tips and tricks)
- Configure and secure SMTP
- Delegate and control permissions
- combating spam and virus

Click here to Order your copy today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931836248/ref=ase_syngressmediahom/002-2606622-7647236?n=283155&tagActionCode=syngressmediahom

RoadSync - Secure, Wireless and Direct Access to Exchange Server 2003 Data via
Exchange ActiveSync
RoadSync is Exchange ActiveSync for non-Microsoft devices. This means wireless
access to your Exchange Server 2003 data without the need for middleware or a
desktop redirector. Support for "Direct Push" email and "Remote Wipe" is
available in preview for Symbian UIQ and Symbian Series 80 devices, including
the Sony Ericsson P900/P910, Motorola A1000, Nokia 9300 and 9500. RoadSync is
also available for Palm OS and select Java MIDP 2.0 devices (including Treo and
Motorola RAZR). Download the Free Evaluation Kit Today.
(http://www.dataviz.com/msexch_rs_jannews)

3. MSExchange.org Learning Zone Articles of Interest

In-depth look at the Public Folder Improvements in Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Public-Folder-Improvements-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

Intelligent Message Filter version 2 (IMF v2)
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Intelligent-Message-Filter-version-2-IMF-v2.html

Explaining the Database size limit changes in Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

Configuring and enabling Sender ID filtering in Exchange 2003 SP2
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring-enabling-Sender-ID-filtering-Exchange-2003-SP2.html

Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 BETA (build 7623.0) Exposed
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Service-Pack2-BETA.html

Booking Resources with Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook System 2003
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Booking-Resources-ExchangeServer-2003-Outlook-System-2003.html

Understanding Mailbox Enabled and Mail Enabled Recipients in Exchange 2003
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Understanding-Mailbox-Enabled-Mail-Enabled-Recipients.html

4. KB Articles of the Month

Here are some interesting and useful MSExchange related Q articles posted by
Microsoft in the last month:

How to update the Intelligent Message Filter version 2 in Exchange Server 2003
SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907747

Event ID 7514 is logged in the Application log when you enable the custom word
list feature in Intelligent Message Filter version 2 on a server that is
running Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907974

The updated DSProxy component in Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 improves
directory requests from Outlook clients
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911087

Developer information about the calendar changes in Outlook 2003 Service Pack
2, Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 and later versions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899919

How to increase the Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 18-gigabyte database
size limit
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912375

Enterprise firewall configuration for Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push Technology
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905013

5. Post of the Month

little_peet (http://forums.msexchange.org/showProfile.aspx?memid=33394) came
with the below neat trick on the Message boards.

IMF abuse sender filter as white list
Ok i don't know if anybody finds this useful and i am taking no responsibility
for this. But since a lot of questions are on the net asking for a white list
solution for Intelligent Message Filter.

If you use this it disables the senders block functionality, but since i wasn't
using that i abused it for a while.

In the senders filter under Global settings->message
filtering->properties->sender filtering

Add the addresses you want to get white listed.

Check the options and only the options:

- Archive filtered messages
- Accept messages without notifying sender

open up a command prompt and navigate to your mailroot folder (drive:\program
files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi n\)

Make a NTFS junction with Linkd (from Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Resource
Kit
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en";)
 or

Junction filter pickup

This will make a symbolic link to the Pickup directory named filter. All
messages filtered with the sender filter are then stored in the Pickup folder
and delivered to the correct inbox.

For everybody out there, only try this if you know what you are doing, because
this can throw emails in a black hole.

Ones configured test it for a good time with a none-mission critical mailbox.

The original post by little_peet
(http://forums.msexchange.org/showProfile.aspx?memid=33394) can be found

RoadSync - Secure, Wireless and Direct Access to Exchange Server 2003 Data via
Exchange ActiveSync
RoadSync is Exchange ActiveSync for non-Microsoft devices. This means wireless
access to your Exchange Server 2003 data without the need for middleware or a
desktop redirector. Support for "Direct Push" email and "Remote Wipe" is
available in preview for Symbian UIQ and Symbian Series 80 devices, including
the Sony Ericsson P900/P910, Motorola A1000, Nokia 9300 and 9500. RoadSync is
also available for Palm OS and select Java MIDP 2.0 devices (including Treo and
Motorola RAZR).  Download the Free Evaluation Kit Today.
(http://www.dataviz.com/msexch_rs_jannews)

6. ISA Firewall Links of the Month

It's no secret that there's been a lot of hype around whether the final release
of Exchange 12 (E12) would support 32-bit or not. Many of you probably already
know that Exchange 12 (E12) will only support 64-bit. In order to find out why
the Exchange team made that decision, I suggest you check out the two resources
below.

Microsoft Exchange "12": Frequently Asked Questions about Exchange "12":

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/preview/faq.mspx

Exchange 12 and 64-bit:

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/12/29/416613.aspx

Are you using BlackBerry or Goodlink in your organization be sure to check out
below post over at the MS Exchange Team blog.

BlackBerry and GoodLink users may be unable to send messages after applying
latest Exchange 2003 store hotfixes

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2006/01/13/417440.aspx

Below is a 3 part series on Windows kernel memory management and Exchange
Server which is an absolutely must read

Microsoft Windows Kernel Memory Management and Microsoft Exchange Server (part
1):

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/12/07/415733.aspx

Configuring Hot-Add and Large Memory for Exchange 2003 (part 2):

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/12/14/416065.aspx

Large Security Tokens and Kernel Memory Exhaustion (part 3):

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/12/28/416551.aspx

7. Ask Henrik Walther a question

QUESTION: I've just taken over the role as an Exchange admin here in the
company. They have a single Exchange 2003 Server and my first task is to get
OWA 2003 up and running. The previous admin screwed up the settings on several
of the OWA virtual directories; do you know how I can re-install the OWA 2003
component?

ANSWER: Well there's no way to re-install the OWA 2003 component alone, but you
can typically resolve this type of issue by using one of the methods mentioned
in MS KB article: 883380 - How to reset the default virtual directories that
are required to provide Outlook Web Access, Exchange ActiveSync, and Outlook
Mobile Access services in Exchange Server 2003
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=883380). Because each OWA virtual directory
is deleted and then re-created, all settings are set back to the defaults. When
things are up and running again, also be sure to secure the traffic between the
OWA server and your clients by implementing SSL. You can do this using a
self-issued certificate or buy one from a 3rd party provider. If you want a
step by step guide showing you how to do this, be sure to check out the below 2
articles: SSL Enabling OWA 2003 using your own Certificate Authority:

RoadSync - Secure, Wireless and Direct Access to Exchange Server 2003 Data via
Exchange ActiveSync
RoadSync is Exchange ActiveSync for non-Microsoft devices. This means wireless
access to your Exchange Server 2003 data without the need for middleware or a
desktop redirector. Support for "Direct Push" email and "Remote Wipe" is
available in preview for Symbian UIQ and Symbian Series 80 devices, including
the Sony Ericsson P900/P910, Motorola A1000, Nokia 9300 and 9500. RoadSync is
also available for Palm OS and select Java MIDP 2.0 devices (including Treo and
Motorola RAZR).  Download the Free Evaluation Kit Today.
(http://www.dataviz.com/msexch_rs_jannews)
MSExchange.org is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp.
For sponsorship information, contact us at advertising@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright © MSExchange.org 2006. All rights reserved.