MSExchange.org - February 2006 Newsletter

  • From: "MSExchange.org" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:04:28 -0600

MSExchange.org Newsletter of February 2006
Sponsored by: Waterford Technologies, Inc.
In this issue:
Exchange 12 Unified Messaging - Outlook Voice Access (OVA)
Henrik Walther?s Exchange Server 2003 Security book
MSExchange.org Learning Zone Articles of Interest
KB Articles of the Month
Tip of the Month
MSExchange Links of the Month
Ask Henrik Walther a question

Welcome to the MSExchange.org newsletter! Each month we will bring you
interesting and helpful information on ISA Server. We want to know what all
*you* are interested in hearing about. Please send your suggestions for future
newsletter content to: henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"No More PSTs or Quotas to Manage - Ever!"
A customer recently told us how they eliminated the need for PST files and user
quotas after installing MailMeter Archive. They also dramatically reduced the
size of their email store from 340 GB to 40 GB. Back up times and Exchange
performance has also improved.

Use MailMeter Archive to offload your email to a separate file system in a
compressed and encrypted format where it is indexed for super fast and robust
searching and reporting. Solve your email storage problem in less than 1 day.

Click here to get Free MailMeter Evaluation software so you can see how easy
this is. (http://www.waterfordtechnologies.com/mc/mse22.asp)

1. Exchange 12 Unified Messaging - Outlook Voice Access (OVA)
By Henrik Walther, Exchange MVP, MCSE

You've probably heard the term Unified Messaging mentioned several times in
relation to the upcoming version of Exchange - Exchange 12. But what's hiding
behind the term anyway? Well, Unified Messaging is a totally new feature in
Exchange 12 that among other things integrates voicemail capabilities, which
provides your users with voice access to their mailboxes from a phone. This new
feature is called OVA (yes that's right OVA which is short for Outlook Voice
Access) and makes it possible for your users to, for example, re-schedule and
cancel meetings, reply or delete email messages through speech recognition (OVA
is based on the Microsoft Speech Server product). OVA also makes it possible
for your users to receive voicemail as email messages, meaning that when
somebody calls you at work, and you're not there to receive the call, the call
gets redirected to the Unified Messaging server, which then delivers an email
message with an attached .WMA file including the voice message. When you reach
your desk again or perhaps access your mailbox via OWA from home you can then
simply double-click on the attached .WMA file and listen to it in Windows Media
Player (or have the message directed to your phone).

Another killer feature in OVA is that your users will have the possibility to
listen to unread email messages over the phone. You can also call a user in the
particular organization's GAL by dialing into your mailbox.

I agree many of the features which will be included in OVA already are possible
via technologies such as Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) and Outlook Mobile Access
(OMA), but one place where I really look forward to using OVA is when I'm
driving around in my car. You know as well as me it's quite difficult, as well
as illegal (at least here in Denmark) to sit and play with your mobile phone
while driving. With OVA you just dial a number and you can check your mail,
calendar etc. simply by speaking to your mailbox. Can it be better than that? I
don't think so.

I only touched the surface of what will be possible when it comes to the new
OVA feature, which will be included in Exchange 12, but hopefully I gave you an
idea of what to expect. As I also promised you in the January newsletter, you
can look forward to some in-depth articles covering OVA and many other exciting
Exchange 12 features here on  MSExchange.org (http://www.msexchange.org/).

That was all for this time. Should you have any ideas for content in future
editions of the MSExchange.org newsletter, you're more than welcome to shoot me
an email at  Henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Henrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

2. Henrik Walther?s Exchange Server 2003 Security book - Order Today!
By Henrik Walther

Are you among the persons who like the articles I write for MSExchange.org (
http://www.msexchange.org/Henrik_Walther )? Then this book is definitely for
you. It provides you with step by step instructions on how you get your
Exchange Server properly secured.

The book covers topics such as how to:

- Secure OWA 2003 (including many real world tips and tricks)
- Configure and secure SMTP
- Delegate and control permissions
- combating spam and virus

Click here to Order your copy today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931836248/ref=ase_syngressmediahom/002-2606622-7647236?n=283155&tagActionCode=syngressmediahom

"Our Email Back Ups Went From 18 Hours to 2 Hours"

A customer recently told us how they were able to dramatically reduce the time
to back up their Email Store after installing MailMeter Archive. Their Exchange
server performance has improved and they eliminated the use of PST files!

Use MailMeter Archive to offload excess email to a separate file system in a
compressed and encrypted format where it can be easily searched and reported
on. The benefits to your company are many and you will at least solve your
email storage problem in about 1 day.

Click here to get Free MailMeter Evaluation software so you can see how easy
this is. (http://www.waterfordtechnologies.com/mc/mse23.asp)

3. MSExchange.org Learning Zone Articles of Interest

Explaining the new MAPI Access feature included in Exchange Server 2003 Service
Pack 2
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/New-MAPI-Access-feature-Exchange-Server-2003-Service-Pack2.html

Creating Exchange Users with Excel
http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Creating-Exchange-Users-Excel.html

A look at the Microsoft Exchange Server Profile Analyzer (EPA) Tool
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Microsoft-Exchange-Server-Profile-Analyzer-EPA-Tool.html

Provisioning Outlook Web Access 2003
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Provisioning-Outlook-Web-Access-2003.html

How to change the POP3 / IMAP4 and SMTP banner in Exchange 2003
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/change-POP3-IMAP4-SMTP-banner-Exchange-2003.html

Creating and Using Moderated Public Folders in MS Exchange Server
http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Creating-Using-Moderated-Public-Folders-Exchange-Server.html

4. KB Articles of the Month

Here are some interesting and useful MSExchange related articles posted by
Microsoft in the last month:

The display name in e-mail messages contains localized language characters that
are incorrect after you synchronize Windows Mobile with Exchange Server 2003
Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910423

The "Sender ID Filtering" feature does not work correctly in an Exchange Server
2003 SP2 server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910272

A duplicate message is delivered to a public folder in Exchange Server 2003 SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906884

Error message when you run the Eseutil command to determine the amount of free
space in a database file in Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or in Exchange
Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Usage error: Source database has no streaming file"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908259

The expected e-mail messages are not found when you use Message Tracking Center
in Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908977

5. Tip of the Month

Since the release of Exchange 2003 Server SP2, I've seen many issues related to
the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF). As most of you know IMF is, after
installation of Exchange 2003 SP2, an integrated part of the Exchange 2003
Server product. Before SP2 IMF was a separate add-on, that could be downloaded
from the Microsoft.com site (and of course still can be downloaded by those of
you not running Exchange 2003 SP2 yet). This means that you must uninstall IMF
v1 from the server, before you start applying Exchange 2003 SP2. Failing to do
so will typically end in a warning message informing you to uninstall IMF v2
before preceding with the installation of Exchange 2003 SP2, but in some
situations the Exchange 2003 SP2 installation wizard simply continues. This
typically ends up in a malfunctioning IMF, and will in worst case stop all
inbound SMTP mail flow.

The above issue leads me to one word of advice - always be sure to read the
release notes before you apply a service pack, this is not only the case with
Exchange but with all Microsoft products.

"No More PSTs or Quotas to Manage - Ever!"
A customer recently told us how they eliminated the need for PST files and user
quotas after installing MailMeter Archive. They also dramatically reduced the
size of their email store from 340 GB to 40 GB. Back up times and Exchange
performance has also improved.

Use MailMeter Archive to offload your email to a separate file system in a
compressed and encrypted format where it is indexed for super fast and robust
searching and reporting. Solve your email storage problem in less than 1 day.

Click here to get Free MailMeter Evaluation software so you can see how easy
this is. (http://www.waterfordtechnologies.com/mc/mse22.asp)

6. ISA Firewall Links of the Month

Since the main topic of this newsletter is around Exchange 12 Unified
Messaging, I thought it would be a good idea to list below two articles which
talks more about this feature in general.

Microsoft Exchange Server: Exchange Unified Messaging Integrates Communications

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/preview/unified_messaging.mspx

Q&A: Microsoft Forms Unified Communications Group to Deliver Innovative
Communications Solutions

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jan06/01-30UnifiedComms.mspx

March will be a very exciting month when speaking Exchange 12, because not only
will a special version of the product be included in the March Technet
shipment, the Microsoft Technet team will also present four Exchange 12
specific Webcasts!

TechNet Webcast: An Overview of Exchange "12" (Level 200)
(http://tinyurl.com/cbufj)
The next major version of Microsoft Exchange Server (code-named Exchange "12"),
represents a leap forward in technology, enhancing information workers access
to larger mailboxes while giving the e-mail administrator a more manageable and
secure e-mail infrastructure. This webcast provides an overview of the product
direction and offers a sneak peek at some of the new feature enhancements that
will be included in Exchange 12.

Start Time: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 1:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada)
End Time: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 2:30 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

TechNet Webcast: Giving the Administrator More Control in Exchange "12" (Level
200) (http://tinyurl.com/9hf86)
You can now have a complete and scriptable command-line interface for Microsoft
Exchange Server. In this webcast, find out about the biggest changes for
administrators in the next version of Exchange (code-named Exchange "12"), from
the new setup interface and Exchange System Manager to the Exchange
command-line shell. See an overview of the updated architecture of Exchange
"12" and learn how improvements to input/output and advances in high
availability and disaster recovery can make large mailboxes widely available at
lower cost.

Start Time: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:30 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada)
End Time:   Wednesday, March 15, 2006  1:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada)

TechNet Webcast: Client Access and Web Services in Exchange "12" (Level 200)
(http://tinyurl.com/d5r46)
The front-end server you know from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 has evolved
into the Client Access Services role in the latest release (code-named Exchange
"12"). Along with the name change comes new capabilities and broader access to
the resources in the Exchange environment. In this webcast, learn about
advances in Exchange "12" client access support, including Microsoft Office
Outlook Web Access. We also show you how to integrate mail, calendar, and other
data from the Exchange store into your line-of-business applications.

Start Time: Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:30 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada)
End Time: Thursday, March 16, 2006  1:00 PM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada)

TechNet Webcast: Message Security and Active Protection in Exchange "12" (Level
200) (http://tinyurl.com/cmdgo)
Regulations, spam, viruses, snoops, and spies are just some of the many threats
and complications that affect e-mail today. In this webcast, find out how the
next release of Microsoft Exchange Server (code-named Exchange "12"), can help
your organization move from insecure, postcard-like e-mail that can be easily
intercepted and read, to e-mail in secure digital envelopes that are encrypted
and signed. We explore the anti-spam and anti-virus features in Exchange "12"
that help create a cleaner message stream. We also look at the updated range of
messaging policy and improved regulatory compliance features in this new
release, including transport rules, per-user journaling, message labels, and
bannering.

Start Time: Friday, March 17, 2006  9:30 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada) 1830 UK Time
End Time: Friday, March 17, 2006 11:00 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US &
Canada) 2000 UK Time

7. Ask Henrik Walther a question

QUESTION: Our organization is right about to start migrating from Exchange 5.5
to Exchange Server 2003. Now that Exchange 12 is around the corner would you
recommend we hold our horses and migrate directly to Exchange 12 instead?

ANSWER: The answer is no and this is for several reasons. First, a transition
from Exchange 2003 Server to Exchange 12 will be much easier than a migration
from Exchange 5.5. Second, Exchange 2003 and Exchange 12 coexist quite nicely
together. But when this is said you should bear in mind that Exchange 12 will
only run on x64 servers, this means you already should consider using x64
hardware in your Exchange 2003 migration. But can I install Exchange 2003 on
x64 hardware? Yes both the 32-bit version of Windows 2003 Server and Exchange
2003 Server are supported on x64 hardware, just remember Exchange 2003 isn't
supported and cannot be installed on top of a Windows 2003 Server 64-bit
version.

"Our Email Back Ups Went From 18 Hours to 2 Hours"

A customer recently told us how they were able to dramatically reduce the time
to back up their Email Store after installing MailMeter Archive. Their Exchange
server performance has improved and they eliminated the use of PST files!

Use MailMeter Archive to offload excess email to a separate file system in a
compressed and encrypted format where it can be easily searched and reported
on. The benefits to your company are many and you will at least solve your
email storage problem in about 1 day.

Click here to get Free MailMeter Evaluation software so you can see how easy
this is. (http://www.waterfordtechnologies.com/mc/mse23.asp)
MSExchange.org is in no way affiliated with Microsoft Corp.
For sponsorship information, contact us at advertising@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright © MSExchange.org 2006. All rights reserved.