RE: MS Exchange 2003 backups using Veritas Backup Exec

  • From: "Andy David" <adavid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:20:26 -0400

Have you looked at this?

  _____

From: Mario Alvarez [mailto:MAlvarez@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 4:37 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] MS Exchange 2003 backups using Veritas Backup Exec

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Good Afternoon,

I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of months now. Each
time I attempt to run a backup on my Exchange server, I get a "timeout"
error. I have contacted Veritas support and their solutions have not worked.
They suggested that I contact Microsoft, which I will be doing too.

The problem seems to be with VSS. Whenever I type the VSSADMIN -List All
command, I notice that several of the writers are not in the state: [1]
Stable. Instead, they are [5] Waiting for completion. It seems like
rebooting the server is the only way to return the writers to status: [1]
Stable. Is there a reason why I can't get this to work with Exchange 2003? I
have also tried running a local backup of Exchange using NTBackup and I get
the following error: Error returned while creating the volume shadow
copy:800423f4.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can try to troubleshoot this
problem? I'm running Exchange 2003 (6.5.6944.0) on Windows Server 2003.

Mario Alvarez
MIS Assistant
Norman's Nursery Inc.
San Gabriel, CA