MS Exchange 2003 backups using Veritas Backup Exec

  • From: "Mario Alvarez" <MAlvarez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:36:49 -0700

Good Afternoon,
I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of months now.
Each time I attempt to run a backup on my Exchange server, I get a
"timeout" error. I have contacted Veritas support and their solutions
have not worked. They suggested that I contact Microsoft, which I will
be doing too.
The problem seems to be with VSS. Whenever I type the VSSADMIN -List All
command, I notice that several of the writers are not in the state: [1]
Stable. Instead, they are [5] Waiting for completion. It seems like
rebooting the server is the only way to return the writers to status:
[1] Stable. Is there a reason why I can't get this to work with Exchange
2003? I have also tried running a local backup of Exchange using
NTBackup and I get the following error: Error returned while creating
the volume shadow copy:800423f4.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can try to troubleshoot
this problem? I'm running Exchange 2003 (6.5.6944.0) on Windows Server
Mario Alvarez
MIS Assistant
Norman's Nursery Inc.
San Gabriel, CA