• From: "Hunt, Jim" <HuntJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:24:22 -0500

I have 4 Exchange (5.5) servers on NT (4.0) all with the latest service
packs and patches.

Over the past few days a "few" users with mailboxes on "one" server have
problems with receiving messages from "some" outside senders.

Example: I can send 2 people a message from my hotmail account and one will
get the message and the other will bounce back and return the looping
message.  A user from another system can send both users a message and both
will bounce back and return the looping message.

The messages that bounce back show it being forwarded to the MTA of the edge
(smtp gateway) server.  This is the server that should move it to the other
server for delivery.  I am stumped.  No changes have been made to anything
for over 2 months.  (We have been loafing!)

Note: You can bounce a message back to stitesj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and see for
yourself.  Everything to her seems to bounce back.

Jim Hunt
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Northwestern School Corporation