RE: Looking for resources, information to auto mate new users

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:32:04 -0500

Agreed.  Just to explore what you need to do:

For account lifecycle management:
1) provisioning indicates that you want to have some input (HR DB?) and have
some intelligence around the allocation of resources such as levelling etc.
Sounds easy, but it takes a bit more than a script and a handshake.  If
you're like me, you work for a corporation that has regulations which
indicates some sort of audit process.  Often, that's a database if a company
of any size.  Reporting, etc are also needed to make it useful.  That's the
beginning of the process. Then you need to allow for changes (self-service?)
etc.  Then, when a user-entity leaves, what do you do?  You need a way to
remove that person from all of the resources they currently have access to.
Also indicates some business rules to allocate for users.  I.E. give a user
access to resource x.y.z but give the manager of those users t.x.y.z etc.
So far, that's usually enough complexity to warrant looking at a third-party
product either from Microsoft if all resources are Microsoft related (with
MIIS it could be other resources as well, but...) or someone like
www.abridean.com That's high-level first pass stuff, but it's formidable to
say the least.  You could end up spending a FTE programmer just to keep up
with changes over time.

2) Monitoring is somewhat of an art still.  Programs like MOM make it easy
because the Microsoft products come with their
best-practices-built-in-management-packs which plug into MOM. That means you
don't have to figure out the 1700 plus parameters that Microsoft has already
baked in to the pack.  That's one application.  You have many and would need
to figure out the best thresholds, counters, data, etc for your
organization. Again, that's a lot of work and would likely require a FTE or
more for programming maintenance.  Since the management pack comes from
Microsoft, it gets updated with service packs.  That's a lot cleaner and
easier in concept than writing it yourself.

However it works out, good luck.

Al