RE: Logging into OWA with UPN email address and password

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:15:00 -0400

Hi Salim,
When you mention you want the users to logon using the email address, I
assume you mean the UPN of the user ID. The UPN is typically
LANID@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, where LANID is the user's LAN ID, and the
ad-domain.xxx is the Active Directory domain name, not necessarily your
email domain name. In most cases this format will match the user's SMTP
email ID. However, in some cases, the User LAN ID will not be the same
as the SMTP ID. If you configure your SMTP addresses to use
firstname.lastname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the LANID will be different. Also, in
some cases, the AD domain name is different from the domain name used
for email. In this case you can always add an additional UPN suffix to
your domain to match the email domain name. Also note that the NetBios
domain name is not the same as your AD DNS domain name, for example,
when you specify the domain name in the logon box, you can specify
DOMAINX as your domain name. But when you use the UPN format you may
have to use user@xxxxxxxxxxxx, where DOMAINX is the Netbios name, and
addomain.com is the DNS name. However, the user ID part in the UPN has
to be the user's LAN ID. So effectively, the UPN formatted logon looks
like your email ID, and in most cases is your correct email ID, but not
always. Run IPCONFIG /ALL, this will tell you what is the dns domain
name fro your domain. Also, have you enabled forms based authentication
?

Regards,

Raj