RE: Lab creation question...

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:55:27 -0500

I agree he's a bright guy and in most cases I'd agree with the steps listed.
I will say that many of the Microsoft folks would likely use those same
steps in many cases if faced with that requirement.
However, that same concept won't completely cover an empty root domain.  It
has some risks that you may not need or want to take and there may be other
ways that fit your needs a little better.

One thing that's implied in Brian's steps is an isolated network.  That's
important as is DNS on the domain controller (what good is a directory
without a directory to find itself in, right?)

Knowing what you need in a test environment is much more helpful than what
was posted originally and you can find that document at
http://www.microsoft.com/ad <http://www.microsoft.com/ad>  .

I don't remember if it has the steps to creating a test environment either,
but it's possible you don't need nor want to use production data in your
test lab.

Al

  _____