Re: Jacked up Exchange server!!!

  • From: Matt Dillingham <mdilling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, marvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:16:44 -0400

Marvin-

i think that i know what your problem is if:

- you are running your own MS DNS server (probably on the domain controller).
- the exchange machine is on a different hardware from the DC.
- you have only one domain controller. (probably)

i am pretty sure that this problem is an effect of not having DNS setup 100%
correct.  the exchange server and active directory domain controller cannot
find each other, which is what is causing the problem.  Clients can still
resolve names, ect, but if you look more closely, it isnt entirely working
(with regard to AD). there is a DNS tool in the 2K server reskit that will help
you to confirm this (unfortunately, i dont recall its name right now).

if this is actually the case, to fix it you will need to manually uninstall the
exchange installation (Q260378), fix DNS, (putting in another DC to test is a
good idea since i believe that another DC wont install either without DNS being
fixed), and then reinstall exchange (being sure to run domain prep, ect.).
everything should work fine then. ..assuming that this is actually the problem.

anyway, hope this helps.  good luck!

-matt
 Matt Dillingham                        Systems Administrator II
           University of Michigan, Bioinformatics