RE: Instant Messaging

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:08:33 -0500

So to make sure we understand, you already have an E2K org in place (on an
Win2K3 server) and wanted to add the IM functionality to it?

You¹re not really playing around with this in your production org, are you?

Anyhow, this tech rides on the Exchange 2000 technology - if I recall
correctly, you can¹t have the IM functionality up and running without
Exchange 2000 present as well.  The schema needs to be extended (which you
presumably did since you¹re seeing the IM capabilities in ADUC) but it needs
to be fully configured from within ESM before you can enable it for users.

Note I¹m working from (admittedly slipping) memory here ­ I worked with this
for a couple clients in years past but not recently.

Maybe go thru step by step what you did so we can be sure we understand ­
and I really really suggest playing around with it on a couple test boxes
before you go any further and wind up breaking something you didn¹t want to.

Rick