Instant Messaging

  • From: "Edwin" <msexchange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:39:11 -0500

We would like to make use of the MSN Instant messaging service within our
domain.  Our DC's are both Win2K3 standard Edition and our Exchange Server
is Win2K Advanced.

I installed the Instant Messaging software from the Exchange 2000 CD onto a
Win2K3 Standard machine that is a member server.  I understand that Exchange
2000 is not compatible with Win2K3 however I am not using the mail services
and thought I would give it a try before re-installing the server I intend
to use.

Basically, on the Win2K3 machine I installed the software and System
Manager.  When I go to the "Exchange Features" tab, of the user I intend to
use, I click on "Enable" and I am asked for a IM Home Server.  The problem
is that the "Browse" button is disabled.

Is this because of Win2K vs. Win2K3 with Exchange 2000 (possibly)?  Or is
there a step that I am missing?

P.S. Why not use Exchange 2003?  For licensing reasons.

P.P.S.  Why do you want to use IM?  Because we are currently using an
antiquated version of ICQ Corporate Edition on an old NT4 domain that I want
to get rid of and this will be the final step.