Installing a second Exchange 5.5 server in our DMZ

  • From: Greg Hermida <ghermida@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:52:03 -0600

My boss would like to turn on relaying on our one and only Exchange server
for application purposes.  He has proposed installing a secondary exchange
server in our DMZ.  I believe I can get away with only the DMZ IMS
configured to transfer "inbound only", delivering messages by "forwarding
all messages to host" (using the IP of the internal exchange server), and
rerouting incoming SMTP mail to our email domains to "inbound".  I would
like to have as many other exchange functions as possible on the DMZ
exchange server to be disabled or deleted (public information store).  Is
there anything else I need to do to get the DMZ exchange server to function
simply as a '"forwarding" SMTP server??  Both are on Win2k servers, running
5.5 Enterprise, and internally we have a NT 4 domain.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-mail message, including any attachments,
confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized retention,
review, printing, copying, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not one of the intended recipients, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail or phone, destroy all copies of the original message and
keep the information contained here confidential.