RE: Information Store service will not start if Inoculan is set to scan email

  • From: "Mike Liddekee" <mliddekee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:40:14 -0500

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is?  Is Inoculan "specifically" for
Exchange server is it for file-level scanning and it has a "tick" to scan
email?  If that latter is the case, you NEED to go out an buy an email server
scanning product yesterday.  The only way you can get accurate virus detection
with Exchange is to use a AV product specifically designed to integrate into
Exchange.  There are numerous ones out there but you need to make sure that
you're running a file-level scanning software on your exchange in addition to
an Exchange email av software application.  Without both, you're asking for

On a side note, I'd run from Inoculan as fast as you can.  I have never had
anything but *BAD* luck with their products.  Trend, Symantec, McAfee are more
"known" names to stick with.

Mike Liddekee
Network Engineer

Humco Holding Group, Inc.
7400 Alumax Dr.
Texarkana, TX  75501
Date:                9/3/2003
Time:                5:22:46 AM
User:                N/A
Computer:            TSTA-S2
The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with
service-specific error 0.
Microsoft states
[;en-us;316650] the
registry setting should be set to 0 (which turns off the Inoculan Mail
Option) and then restart the service -- which worked -- but now the Virus
scanner is not scanning emails!

I have contacted Computer Associates, who is currently trying to duplicate
the problem. In the meantime, I have requested an upgrade CD to 7.0.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

List Archives:
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site:
Windows Security Resource Site: