RE: Incremental Backups

  • From: "Mike Liddekee" <mliddekee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:36:19 -0600

We do a full backup in the evening and then I run differential backups
hourly during the business day.  It only takes about 5min to run do
Exchange log backup and some log files on our SQL server.  I do these to
a PowerVault NAS device on the network.  I like the differential because
then I only have to have my full backup and the one differential.  If I
was doing incrementals, then I might need the full backup and 10
incremental files.  To me it's pointless for the small amount of data I
have.  Of course if you're talking terabytes of data, you're outlook
would be different.

Make sure if you want to do differential log backups, you'd set the
backup to "do not truncate logs".  This feature setup would vary
depending on your backup software.

Mike Liddekee
Network Engineer

Humco Holding Group, Inc.