Re: Increasingly larger virus attack

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:39:22 -0400

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:08:09 -0400, Holstrom, Don J. <dholstrom@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  http://www.MSExchange.org/
>

> Exchange Server 03 over Server 03 with Symantec anti-virus. A week ago I had
> been averaging less than 300 notifications of viruses per day. A couple of
> days ago it shot up to 1,000. Now it is 3,000 a day. Anyone else
> experiencing those kinds of numbers (relative to our around 100 mailboxes)?

Not really. At one company I deal with, there are 60 mailboxes, and
there are only a couple a dozen attempts per day. What you are seeing
is relatively high with that amount of users.

Personally, I would off-load the pressure from the Exchange server,
and add another layer of protection. For that amount of users, you can
get a Fortigate 60 from www.fortinet.com for less than $800 U.S., plus
$250 annual maintenance for support, and updates for AV, Intrusion
Detection & Prevention, firmware upgrades, etc.

(No I do not work for Fortinet, nor do I get paid to give you my
personal recommendation based on personal experience.Their firewalls
are great for the price. Check their website for a list of standard
features)

By setting up an AV firewall, you are not only setting up another
layer of protection (security is all about solid layers of
protection!), but you are also taking the pressure of your Exchange
server and allowing it to concentrate on Messaging & Collaboration,
not filtering 1000's of viruses per day.

Let me know if this is possible for your environment, and I would be
glad to offer any further information regarding this or a similar
setup.

Cheers,

...D