Incorrect message length from POP3 LIST command

  • From: "Jacob Miller" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:52:09 -0600

I'm having trouble using the message length returned by exchange's POP3
connector (this length works correctly with every other pop3 server I've
tried).  I've searched the knowledge base and the archives of this list but
haven't seen anything related to this problem.

As a test, I manually sent a message via smtp:

MAIL FROM:<test@test>
RCPT TO:<me...>

message was sent and logging into exchange to retrieve:

+OK Microsoft Exchange POP3 server version 5.5.2654.50 ready
USER xxx
PASS xxx
+OK 1 264
with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2656.59)
        id T43NA6DZ; Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:30:19 -0000

Can anyone explain to me where exchange comes up with 264 bytes for that
message?  the most I can see is 205 (counting CRLF).  In this case, the count
was high, with other messages the count is low by a anywhere from 10-200 bytes
(octets, whatever).  Anyone else had this problem or know of a fix?